Saturday, March 7, 2015

 
 

His Work / My Work

Getting to know God involves action on both my end and God's end.  He doesn't just pick up His divine funnel and pour it into me.  This sacred education is a process which requires my cooperation.
He stands ever ready to do His part, but I must be willing to do mine.

When studying our language, one will find that there are basically two kinds of verbs: those that "do something" known as action verbs and those that show what something is or "be -ing" verbs, often called linking verbs because they link the subject of the sentence with what it is or what it is like.  For instance, she is beautiful.

Both being and doing are part of my relationship with God.  The being part is where I rest by faith in God's existence, in His goodness toward me, in Jesus and the salvation He has so lovingly provided for me, in the indwelling of Holy Spirit, in the promises of scripture, etc.  However, my relationship with God involves more than just "being"; there is also a "doing" that must be done.  Psalm 119:25-32 illustrates this beautifully.

Half of the verbs in this Psalm are actions I must perform; the rest are actions God does.

My Part

  • to cleave to - I must hang on firmly, loyally, and unwaveringly to God.  He must be my Rock, my peace, my joy, my hope, my everything.
  • to talk to - I must set aside time to talk to Him, to be with Him, to pray.  How else do people get to know each other?  Don't forget to listen.  He speaks to us all of the time, but sadly we are too busy to listen.
  • to meditate - I must spend time in quiet thought about Him and His words and His works and His wonders.  I must not just read the scriptures but let them soak into my soul.
  • to weep - I must discover those areas of my life that are displeasing to Him and then in honesty come to Him and have genuine sorrow over the sin in my life and agree with Him and repent remembering that repentance means change.  He doesn't have to change; I do.
  • to choose the faithful way - I always have a choice.  No one can force me to do anything.  So I must discover what the faithful way entails and then do it, obey.  The faithful way will be the way that best reflects the character of God and Jesus. I must study the scriptures and pay special attention to the way Jesus lived and to what He said and did.  There is no other way to be happy in Him.
  • to place His law, His rule above all else - I must love what He loves and hate what He hates.  He loves His son and the church and people.  He hates anything that separates me from Him.
  • to cling to the testimony of His goodness - Life isn't fair, and sometimes we are tempted to think that He isn't paying attention and doesn't really care and isn't really there.  Faith is believing that He exists and that HE IS GOOD all the time.
  • to run, not walk, in the way of His commandments - I must be excited and energetic about following Him and expectant that He will move.  I must be quick to trust and obey Him.

His Part

  • to revive -  When something is revived, it is restored to life.  He brings us out of darkness and into His light.  He energizes us and refreshes us.  He stimulates our mind and our senses so that we are aware of what is happening all around us.  He is big enough to do this, and His word promises that He will.  He and His word are sufficient. 
  • to teach - Jesus sent Holy Spirit to enable us and to equip us and to teach us.  He stands ready and waiting.
  • to make me understand - While there are many excellent books and cds and speakers out there, God still remains the best source of instruction. He will unravel the things in His word that we do not understand.  He will help us understand His ways.  He will show us the way we should go, illuminate our path.  He doesn't want us to get lost.
  • to strengthen - His Spirit dwelling inside of us will strengthen us, and His grace will give us everything we need for our journey.  He is a generous God and pays for all that He orders.
  • to remove all that is false in us - He grants us discernment so that we will recognize the holy from that which is not holy.  If we have something other that His truth in our heads and if we are the teachable sort, He will weed out all that is not of Him and keep us on the right path.
  • to grant us His law - He desires to share with us what is on His mind and have us partner with Him as we walk in love and truth.
  • to enlarge our heart - He promises to grow us and to build us up, not tear us down.  He expands our field of influence and give us tasks to complete.  We start with a little, and if we are faithful with that little, He gives us more.  We can have as much as we want.
As I stated earlier, this sacred education is a process, and my relationship with Him is one of the most important and most rewarding relationships I will ever have.  May we all press into knowing Him.

 
When we walk with the Lord in the light of His word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still
and with all who will trust and obey.
 
Trust and obey,
for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus,
but to trust and obey.
 
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
Or we'll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment